DRESS CODE FOR NATIONAL COMPANY LAW TRIBUNAL
In India, the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) was founded in 2016 in accordance with the Companies Act of 2013. Corporate disputes, such as those involving mergers and acquisitions, insolvency and liquidation processes, and shareholder and investor complaints, must be settled by the NCLT. The tribunal may also demand that a firm be wound up. Both of its members, who the Central Government nominates, are judges and technical experts. The NCLT has regional benches in numerous places around India, with its headquarters in New Delhi.
Dress Code in Indian Courts:
Dress codes in Indian courts are important for creating a formal atmosphere and maintaining decorum. They are also a sign of respect for the court and its proceedings. The dress code for courts in India is generally formal, conservative attire. Men should wear a suit or formal shirt and trousers, while women should wear a sari or a salwar kameez.
Dress Code for National Company Law Tribunal:
The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) is an important body established by the Government of India to oversee the functioning of companies in India. As such, it is important that the dress code at the NCLT is strictly adhered to, as it reflects the seriousness and importance of the proceedings of the Tribunal.
It is also important to note that the dress code is applicable to all members of the NCLT, including judges, lawyers, and other staff. All members of the NCLT should adhere to the dress code in order to maintain the decorum and seriousness of the proceedings.
In supersession of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT)’s order dated 02.08.2016 and 14.11.2017, and in the exercise of the powers conferred on the Hon’b1e President under the Act and the Rules, in particular Rule 16(f) of NCLT Rules 2016 and in terms of Section 4o2 of the Companies Act, 2013 read with Rule 51 & Rule 124 of NCLT Rules 2016, the following Dress Code is prescribed vide an Order dated 27.01.2023:
- For President and Members:
- The dress of the President and Members shall be long trousers (White/Black, Black Striped or Grey), National Dress with a white shirt and collar band with a black coat/buttoned up black coat.
- In the case of a Female President or a Member, the dress shall be a sober-colored saree, national dress, and collar band with a black coat/buttoned-up black coat.
- For Legal Practitioner:
The Dress Code for Legal practitioners shall be as per the Code prescribed under the Bar Council of India Rules under Section 49(1)(gg) of the Advocates Act, 1961.
- For Authorised Representative:
Every Authorised Representative viz. Chartered Accountant, Company Secretary, and Cost Accountant shall appear in his/her professional dress if any prescribed under their respective code of conduct; and if there is no such dress code prescribed;
- A male member shall wear a sober-colored dress or a National dress with a buttoned-up coat, or a Coat with a tie.
- In the case of a female member, the dress shall be a sober-colored saree or formal National dress. A suit or buttoned-up coat is optional
- For IRP/RP/Liquidator:
- In the case of a male member, the dress shall be a sober-colored dress or a National Dress, a suit, or a buttoned-up coat and tie.
- In the case of a female member, the dress shall be a sober-colored saree or national A suit or buttoned-up coat is optional.
- For parties in person:
Parties appearing in person before NCLT shall be properly dressed in any national dress and in sober color.
- All the parties are directed to observe the above to maintain the dignity and decorum of the Hon’ble President, NCLT.
In addition to the formal dress code, the NCLT also has a few specific rules that must be followed. For example, lawyers are required to wear a black coat, a white shirt, and a white collar band. The coat should be of a particular length and should not have any pockets. Lawyers are also required to wear a black or white tie.
The dress code in Indian courts is important for creating the right atmosphere and maintaining decorum. For the NCLT, this means wearing formal attire and adhering to the specific rules of the court. By following the dress code, lawyers can show respect for the court and its proceedings.
It is important to note that the dress code at the NCLT is not only for appearances but also for safety and security reasons. It is important that all visitors and members of the NCLT adhere to the dress code in order to maintain the security of the proceedings.
The dress code also applies to visitors, who should also adhere to the formal dress code. Those attending hearings should also be dressed in formal attire.